Gluten-Free Kimchi Burger with Spicy Mayo
These burgers are filled with umami richness from kimchi and flavoured with sesame oil, soy and fresh ginger. The patties are gluten-free and topped with a fried egg and more kimchi. Use a gluten-free bun or large kale leaves as a bun-free alternative.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Total Time:26 minutes
For the spicy mayo:
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp Sriracha
1 tbsp lime juice
For the kimchi burger:
1Lb lean ground beef
½ cup finely chopped kimchi, drained well, plus extra for topping
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce (or Sriracha)
¼ cup ground flax seeds
½ cup chopped cilantro, packed
4 gluten-free burger buns
4 large eggs, for frying
1. In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, Sriracha and lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat BBQ to medium heat.
3. In a large bowl combine ground beef, chopped kimchi, grated garlic, grated fresh ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, gluten-free bread crumbs and chopped cilantro. Mix well to combine. Shape into 4 burger patties, each about ½-inch thick.
4. Oil BBQ. Barbecue burgers until cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Warm buns on grill, if you like. Cover burgers with foil. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Oil well. Fry four eggs.
5. Place burgers on warm buns. Spread with spicy mayo. Top with more kimchi and a fried egg.