Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by baking up a festive treat. This cake combines a rich chocolate cake base, with an Irish cream whipped frosting, topped with green and gold sprinkles. A sheet cake serves plenty so make sure to porch drop a few slices to your neighbours so you can all celebrate together (but, apart). If you’d like your cake to be extra boozy, simply brush 3 extra tbsp Baileys Irish Cream over warm cake. This recipe is made in partnership with Metro Ontario.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes + cooling time
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp kosher salt
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
¾ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Irresistibles Organic 2% Plain Yogurt
Irish Whipped Cream Frosting:
1 ½ cups 35% whipping cream
¼ cup Baileys Irish Cream
1 tbsp maple syrup or granulated sugar
Green and gold sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Butter a 9 x 13-inch (4 L) baking pan. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. For the cake, in the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat granulated sugar, light brown sugar and vegetable oil on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture to oil mixture in 3 parts, alternating with yogurt in 2 parts. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
4. Bake in centre of oven until a tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely in pan, 1½ hours.
5. For the Irish cream frosting, using a stand mixer fitting with the whisk, whisk together whipping cream, Baileys Irish cream and maple syrup until stiff.
6. Spoon Irish cream frosting over cooled cake and spread evenly to edges. Generously sprinkle with green and gold sprinkles. Cut into 12 pieces.